The Golden Berries or aguaymanto or gooseberry or ushun, is a fruit belonging to the family Solanaceae therefore has similar characteristics to the family of the potato, tomato and snuff, even though its growth is bushy.
This fruit is round, yellow, sweet and small (between 1.26 and 2 cm diameter). It can be eaten alone, in syrup, desserts and other sweet fruits. Its internal structure is similar to a miniature tomato.
It has great nutritional properties and in the field of health is used as a control:
- Amebiasis: Controls amebiasis.
- Asthma: Asthma Fight.
- Bronchus: Relieves bronchial problems.
- Calcium: Helps with the formation of teeth and bones.
- Cancer (colon, intestine, stomach): Prevents the appearance of cancer for its
- digestive properties.
- Mental fatigue: Combats mental fatigue.
- Cholesterol: Lowers cholesterol levels in the blood.
- Depression: Fighting depression.
- Diabetes: Eat the fruit of aguaymanto as it has an insulin-like substance.
- Aging: The consumption of this prevents aging.
- Throat: Relieves throat problems.
- Injuries: Promotes healing of wounds.
- Menopause: Relieves symptoms characteristic of this period.
- Menstruation: It relieves menstrual cramps.
- Prostate favors treating people with prostate problems thanks to its diuretic properties.
- Sinusitis: Combat sinusitis.
- Immune System: Strengthens.
- Stress: Combat stress, etc.
This fruit, because of its health benefits in many different aspects, was exported from South America to the world more than 200 years ago, and knowing more than 50 varieties of gooseberry.
From the point of view of nutrition, cape gooseberry is also an excellent source of provitamin A and vitamin C. It has been used, on the other hand, as a detoxifier and even in some cancer treatments, hepatitis, malaria, dermatitis and cataracts as well as to control high cholesterol or adjuvant treatment figures prostate problems.
It also emphasizes its high content of phosphorus, magnesium and pectin, so the gooseberry is highly prized for making desserts.